Monday, October 10, 2011

How to Make Your Home More Sellable

Here are eight projects that are not very expensive but will add a lot of value to your home. Remember, these days when you make improvements to your home you might not recoup that investment in your sale price but you will make your home more attractive to potential buyers. The less time it sits on the market, the lower your carrying costs and the sooner you can move on.

1. Replace the kitchen sink and faucet.
2. Add a backsplash to your kitchen.
3. Replace dated vanities, cabinets and toilets. If you don't want to replace the toilet, just replace the toilet seat.
4. Paint in neutral colors. I favor a cream color with a light pink tint to it because it is a neutral that casts a flattering glow upon a room and the people in it. Avoid totally flat paint, it makes rooms look dull.
5. Add crown moldings.
6. Add cabinets and shelving to your closets and garage for added storage space.
7. Replace the front door.
8. Landscape.

Most importantly, your your house and yard clean! I once went to a property that was such a mess from the outside that I was certain it was abandoned- then I saw that people lived there! When potential buyers see a mess they automatically lower their offer. A pristine property is a valuable property. No buyer wants to clean up the previous owner's mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment